Russell Regional Hospital was formed in 1942 when civic-minded citizens worked together to form a twenty-four bed hospital on land donated by Jerry E. Driscoll, a Russell attorney. The bid to build this hospital came in at $8,500. Local residents, businesses, and organizations contributed money, equipment, and furnishings. Since that time Russell Regional Hospital has experienced continual growth and expansion of services.
A bond issue was passed on March 20, 1957 and a $40,000 building program was approved by the Russell City Council to expand the hospital to fifty-four beds and to remodel the older building in order to accommodate the growing facility and to insure quality healthcare.
In April, 1971 a $525,000 bond issue brought about a complete renovation of the hospital, the addition of a building for mechanical equipment, an emergency entrance on the east, a new ambulance entrance, and a paved and lighted parking lot.
In 1977 another expansion was done for more space and moderization. A three-story addition and basement were built on the south side of the existing building, increasing the bed capacity to fifty-eight. A four-bed Intensive Care Unit was added and the Radiology, Medical Records, and Physical Therapy areas were expanded. Laboratory facilities were extended and Business and Administrative Offices relocated. A new 2,320-foot addition was built on the northwest corner of the building for Food Services. This was financed by a bond issue.
The Medical Arts Building (Physician's Clinic) was added in 1981 to aid in physician recruitment and is located to the southeast of the hospital site and provides office space for physicians and other health organizations.
On November 4, 2003 a $5.5 million dollar bond issue was passed to provide for another remodeling and expansion project, adding 9,555 sq. feet. This included expansion and renovation of the surgical area, expansion of the physical therapy department to over 4,000 square feet and a new public elevator. Main Street Manor, which is located on the premises, was renovated adding 10 beds to the long-term care unit. This project was completed October, 2005.
Over the years, the Board of Directors has recognized the need for upgrading medical technology to better serve the Russell area. In 1993 the hospital's name was changed from Russell City Hospital to Russell Regional Hospital to reflect the desire to offer quality health care services to all the citizens of Russell County and surrounding area. At that time the hospital passed from being city owned to county owned. An elected board of Russell county residents manage the hospital. The day-to-day operations of the hospital were subleased in 1997 to West Central Kansas Association, Inc., a 501c3 non-profit organization.